frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

AMA with Jake@ENVE

Zach BoringZach Boring Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
Come one, come all! This is your chance to get all your questions answered about ENVE by the one and only @Jake Pantone .

Jake is the Director of Marketing and has graciously offered to come on here and answer any questions you may have in regards to the ENVE brand and their products. Want to know what wheels perfectly accent that kit you wear at the coffee shop Saturday mornings? Jake is your man. He may be even to help you with real questions too :)

So ask away and he will get back to you with an answer.
Jake Pantone
Zach Boring, Overly Average Looking Man

Comments

• Options
    Ryan HeislerRyan Heisler Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    edited February 2016
    I'll play along:

1.) What makes your product more compelling than your competitors?

2.) When's a disc coming?

3.) With all that spare cash following the Amer Sports acquisition, would you spend it on a.) hookers and blow, b.) creating a demo wheel fleet, c.) product development and design?

4.) Follow-up on all that cash: surely you can ship a set of 7.8s direct to my house, no questions asked, right?
    GrantInSLC
    Resident Gear Guru
    Bike Crash Free Since August 4th, 2014
  • Options
    #2, when is the disc coming!?
  • Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    Any plans for a road wheelset with disc brakes?
  • Options
    Zach BoringZach Boring Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    @Aaron Webstey you ask they deliver. They already have the 3.4 on their website with discs
    AaronWebstey
    Zach Boring, Overly Average Looking Man
  • Options
    Let's pretend I meant to do that. Yes, they have road wheels with disc brakes.
    Ryan Heislersimonsen77DawnCCollege_Tri
  • Options
    Dark_markDark_mark Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member, TRS/Baucco Officers
    can i have free shit
    Ryan Heisleridking90AlexSBrendo78
  • Options
    Robert RankinRobert Rankin Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    edited February 2016
    Why'd you choose to stick with the 7.8 over the 8.9?
    Ryan HeislerJason LentzkeDHansenTri

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
    2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though
  • Options
    Do the unicorns regrow their horns after you grind them up and sprinkle them into your carbon fibre epoxy, or do you have to grow more unicorns?
    When can we expect a reasonably priced carbon deep rim?
    How much of a price premium does the extra three year warranty you offer versus Zipp add to the price of your wheels?
    Who will win in Rio?
    mbrekk44AaronWebsteyRyan HeislerRashCraig DMattDHansenTriKenElPescadoPeladoBrendo78
  • Options
    espej09espej09 Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    still waiting for him to email me back. when will that happen?
    can you lace a PT hub to enves and whats the cost? thanks
    village idiot
  • Options
    espej09 said:

still waiting for him to email me back. when will that happen?
    can you lace a PT hub to enves and whats the cost? thanks

Wheelbuilder sells Enve's with PT hubs?

• Options
    As a plebian, how do I go about getting a discount for ENVE wheels?
    Must I s the D of instagram and tag you in every post until you notice me and give me 5% off?
  • Options
    _Black_Fred_Black_Fred Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    Can I have a free set of wheels? If not, can I have a free hat?

• Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator
    What kind of feedback did Team MTN-Qhubeka provide last season that they can apply on future products?

AaronWebstey
  • Options
    DHansenTriDHansenTri Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member

Since you've discontinued the 8.9, can I have a leftover set?

Was wondering the same. I understand (from an inventory management perspective) that it would be a bitch to sell miss-matched wheelsets, but a 7.9 or a 4.9 would be ideal for the wife. I hate that we can't buy different bundles.

To that end, can I slut my wife out to you for a set of wheels? Maybe that 7.9 combo I made up, that would be sweet as hell.
    Ryan HeislerRobert Rankinmbrekk44
    Living life in pursuit of triathlon greatness and not pissing off my wife. Also trying to understand Dark Mark and why he's left New York yet again, but this time for Oklahoma. At least it's not Florida.
  • Options
    In summary, @Jake Pantone :

"We have 5 actual questions for you, but good luck finding them! More importantly, please give away your company's product for free or at a deep discount".
    wchevronCraig DTad_MachrowiczCollege_Tri
  • Options
    Ryan HeislerRyan Heisler Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    @Aaron Webstey this is a triathlon website. If there's no attempted whoring for free product, you've eliminated 95% of the site traffic.
    AaronWebsteyTad_MachrowiczGrantInSLC
    Resident Gear Guru
    Bike Crash Free Since August 4th, 2014
  • Options
    TRS_triTRS_tri Member, TRS/Baucco Officers

Can I have a free set of wheels? If not, can I have a free hat?

Embarrassing.

• Options
    @Ryan Heisler it's just so blatant and vulgar. Now stop asking people for stuff, and go for a nice, relaxing Amazon shopping spree, while listening to your free 30-day trial of Prime Music.
    balsdorfRyan HeislerGasBombDawnCDerekL
  • Options
    edited February 2016

I'm genuinely curious why they chose to discontinue the wheels they did. I get they had probably to big a selection. From a triathlon standpoint though, I would have thought they'd keep their deepest wheel.

• Options

I'll play along:

1.) What makes your product more compelling than your competitors? The list is long, but here's a start -http://enve.com/why-enve/ and also http://enve.com/warranty/
    The Smart ENVE System aero tri/road wheels are optimized for how cyclists use them, in a bike frame. If wheels were meant to be throw through the air like frisbee's then there is no doubt that some of our competitors have done it better, but the reality is that wheels only work for their intended function when they're installed in a bike frame. We look at the entire system in as real world scenario as possible, that means interactions between frame, wheels, and rider. Consider all the vehicles that are optimized for travel through air or water. Aside from a handful of vehicles designed in the 80's (not optimized for anything) all these vehicles, have very different shapes front to back. Why should a bike be any different? Answer: It shouldn't and this is one of the reasons that the SES wheel product features different shapes and depths front to back.

2.) When's a disc coming? Someday... We haven't produced one yet for various reasons. Namely because we want to produce one that is better than our 95mm or now 81mm rear wheels used in the 7.8 and 8.9 wheelsets. What we've seen in our testing is that there are very very few instances where a triathlete would go faster on a disc wheel than our 8.9 or 7.8 in a 70.3 or IM distance race. Since our customers and professional athletes are primarily 70.3 and IM athletes, we have deployed development resources elsewhere. Now that we sponsor world tour team Dimension Data, we'll likely have a disc wheel in the next year or so. What we've seen is that the benefits of a disc wheel aren't fully realized until an athlete is riding at speeds upwards of 29mph, a speed that triathletes racing long distances spend very little time at.

3.) With all that spare cash following he Amer Sports acquisition, would you spend it on a.) hookers and blow, b.) creating a demo wheel fleet, c.) product development and design?
    Depends... blow is definitely more profitable than carbon so if we can buy and resell then.... Either way we are good at slinging addicting product. At the end of the day, we love product development and pushing the envelope of what's possible with composites and cycling.

4.) Follow-up on all that cash: surely you can ship a set of 7.8s direct to my house, no questions asked, right? If you know where Ben lives, you may be able to intercept his :)

AaronWebsteyRobert RankinRyan HeislerM_WareItsShugGasBombTad_MachrowiczGrantInSLC
    Director of Marketing - ENVE Composites
  • Options

#2, when is the disc coming!? @Jason Lentzke See comments above

Jason Lentzke
  • Options
    Matt said:

What kind of feedback did Team MTN-Qhubeka provide last season that they can apply on future products?

@Matt - Now that is a great question. Here is the straight up honest truth. The team was blown away by how reliable our products were. For example, over the course of the classics season they expected to see literally dozens of broken and damaged wheels. At the end of the classics, cracked or damaged wheels was less than 5 and all but 1 were damaged from crashes or transportation issues. The biggest development in terms of visual changes to product today is the new molded in brake track texture that you'll now find on SES 2.2, 4.5, 3.4, and 7.8. The goal was more initial bite, power, and wet weather performance. The new brake track improved braking power by 30%. Meaning, for you to get the same amount of braking power with the new texture compared to the original texture, you can pull the lever 30% less hard.

PreachSwansonMatt
  • Options
    @Jake Pantone so, are you offering the disc brake option:
    a) because people are asking for it
    b) because you think it's going to be popular soon
    c) because you see an actual technical advantage in using disc brakes

I can't seem to wade through the rhetoric on this one. They're currently less aero, but better at braking? How much do triathletes brake anyway? Is better braking a significant advantage for cyclists?
  • Options

Since you've discontinued the 8.9, can I have a leftover set?

Was wondering the same. I understand (from an inventory management perspective) that it would be a bitch to sell miss-matched wheelsets, but a 7.9 or a 4.9 would be ideal for the wife. I hate that we can't buy different bundles.

To that end, can I slut my wife out to you for a set of wheels? Maybe that 7.9 combo I made up, that would be sweet as hell.
    @DHansenTri @Robert Rankin Let me put it like this. The new Ford Raptor will feature a turbo charged V6 vs. the original raptor that featured a V8. People are confused, angry, etc... that Ford would do this. However the new Raptor is lighter, more powerful, more efficient, and by all early accounts more enjoyable to drive without sacrificing off road performance. The 8.9 is a beast of a wheel, super fast, reasonably stable, and we are proud of that wheel. I personally love the 8.9 and rode it at the St. George 70.3 in 2014. Technology in terms of wheel aerodynamics are evolving. The 7.8 represents the evolution of Smart ENVE System technology. The 7.8 features not only different depths and widths front the rear, but also sidewall profiles. The 8.9 rims share the same rim shape front to rear. This change along with some unique evolutionary shaping has allowed us to get virtually the same drag savings out of a shallower wheel. The 7.8 is wider than the 8.9 by a good amount. Keep in mind that frames are evolving as well, in 2010/11 when we were developing the 8.9, frames on the market wouldn't have been wide enough to even clear the 7.8. Essentially, modern frame design has removed some of the constraints of tire and rim clearance allowing us the wheel manufacturer to further optimize rim shapes. Additionally, the 7.8 is more optimized for speeds at which triathletes actually ride. If memory serves your average top 10 age group male IM athlete will avg. roughly 23.6mph. The 8.9 is optimized for 30mph. The 7.8 more around 25mph. This is why guys like Maik Twelsiek and Luke McKenzie are going faster than ever on the 7.8, a wheel that is more shallow than many wheels they've raced on in the past 5 years. In summary the SES 7.8 is optimized for speeds at which triathletes ride, it produces lower drag numbers at 25mph than the 8.9, new shaping makes the 7.8 way way way more stable in cross winds (the 8.9 wasn't bad...), finally it is optimized around 25mm tires that offer more comfort and lower rolling resistance. Is there need for a deeper wheel, optimized for higher speeds? YES, stay tuned but for now, know that if you were thinking the 8.9 was the best wheel you could ever own, trust me when I say, the 7.8 does not disappoint and leaves no free speed on the table.
    Robert RankinJason LentzkePreachSwansonCraig DGasBomb
  • Options
    neil5youngneil5young Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    edited February 2016
    How does one land in marketing for a company like ENVE? What's your career background like? Did you need to have engineering / aerodynamics knowledge? Genuinely curious what it takes to work for a brand that's well-known and respected but in a very technical space like racing wheels.

• Options
    Martin said:

Do the unicorns regrow their horns after you grind them up and sprinkle them into your carbon fibre epoxy, or do you have to grow more unicorns?
    When can we expect a reasonably priced carbon deep rim? The real question is what defines reasonably priced. What ENVE can and will continue to do is invest heavily in product development. We spend a lot of days in the windtunnel and investing in instrumentation that gives insanely accurate and repeatable data. We test exclusively at the Mercedes Formula One windtunnel in the UK which is a privately owned tunnel where no expense is spared to ensure top level technology. We offer a killer 5 year warranty because we know people can literally invest in one wheelset that will last them 5 years if cared for properly. So you can buy 1x $1200 wheelset each year w/ no real aero development behind it or you can buy 1 x $3000 wheelset that is guaranteed for 5 years, and you know if you have an issue you can pick up the phone and talk to a person who's only job is to make you happy. See, you should buy 2 sets ;)
    How much of a price premium does the extra three year warranty you offer versus Zipp add to the price of your wheels? None whatsoever, see here http://enve.com/warranty/
    Who will win in Rio? Mario Molas

Ryan HeislerMartin
  • Options

@Jake Pantone so, are you offering the disc brake option:
    a) because people are asking for it Yes and no, disc brakes are coming whether anyone likes it or not
    b) because you think it's going to be popular soon Yes, it will only be more popular. People were really against it with mountain bikes as well, we can see where that went. Personally, I'm a fan of rim brakes, but I'm riding disc brakes to form a real opinion and I can say while I truly believe I don't need them, I've gotten used to them and found a few scenarios where they offer real performance advantages, plus it opens up the design window for rim design as we won't have to engineer for heat management w/ disc brake rims so they can be lighter, better tubeless setups, and overall more efficient
    c) because you see an actual technical advantage in using disc brakes Yes but exactly how this applies to triathlon probably has more to do with frame designs

I can't seem to wade through the rhetoric on this one. They're currently less aero, but better at braking?Probably not, Specialized put out a test showing that disc brakes were basically a neutral hit to aerodynamics, we've seen similar results in our testing, from an engineering standpoint, it is simply and engineering problem that will be solved, disc brake bikes will be as fast or faster than rim brake bikes someday soon. How much do triathletes brake anyway?Probably more than they should... Is better braking a significant advantage for cyclists?Yes, sometimes you need to go slow to be fast.

AaronWebsteyPreachSwanson
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator
    Worldwide warranty rate? (vs I was just riding along...)

I'm guessing it's in the 1-3% of all products sold.
  • Options
    _MurMan_MurMan Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    @Jake Pantone
    Since you make mountain bike and cross wheels as well, do you find it easier to market to triathletes with the "we make shit that can be thrown off a cliff and not break" technique?

Working in a tri specific shop gave me a lot of perspective on how ignorant/careless triathletes are, most do not take care of anything they own, just ride hard and put it away and expect mechanics to magically fix everything they have abused over the season when they come in for their "1 time a year tune up". We were an Enve dealer (before the shop closed) and sold quite a few Enve wheel sets, more than any other brand actually, on the basis of being able to abuse them more.

As for myself, I own a pair of 8.9s. Reading some of your comments it seems the 7.8 is a better setup, would there be a huge benefit to getting 7.8s instead or is it a "you already have the 8.9 so it doesn't matter we just dont make it anymore cause they are about equal"?
    Sean Murnane - East Coast Hooligan
  • Options
    PreachSwansonPreachSwanson Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member, TRS/Baucco Officers
    @Jake Pantone i love your comparison of the 1 year vs 5 year rims!

On disk brake wheels. Do you feel that it will be optimal for someone to wait for a wheel set and bike frame that are mutually optimized for such brakes or do you see some efficient retrofit designs for existing bikes?
    TRS Racing
    I'm an angel with an incredible capacity for beer

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2016 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch