frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Anyone use Stryd?

Just curious if anyone's used it before and found it worthwhile. I've found one for about the price it would cost me to get a new HRM and cadence sensor for my 910 so I'm considering it.

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though

Comments

• Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    @Robert Rankin there's a chance I'll be trying one out soon. More to come.
    Robert Rankinmilo331
  • Options
    idking90idking90 Member, Pro Triathlete
    I've been using one for a couple months once my coach got some from the Kickstarter campaign. It's not *as* useful as a bike power meter, and certainly not used the same way. It's more an economy meter than a power meter, and it's certainly got its limitations
    AaronWebsteyRobert Rankinsimonsen77
  • Options
    @iank90 what watch do you have it paired with? I've got a 910 and wondering how the info would translate to Garmin connect or strava because the watch would be on ride mode. Seems most info is really only displayed on their site?

• Options
    @Robert Rankin I believe the only way to get it to communicate with a garmin device right now is use the garmin device in cycling mode. Cycling mode has power enabled so it will pick up the pm. In running mode, power is not enabled currently so it won't pick it up. It should be an easy fix for garmin to make in the software.
  • Options
    Yes, I have it on cycling mode with my 310, but I did change the display fields to show pace on my watch, because I only use it for running now. It's a bit of a pain in the ass that I have to go into Training Peaks and temporarily change the activity type to bike before I upload so that the file attaches to the right workout, and sometimes I forget. But it's no worse than the fact that my Edge 500 won't separately recognize a MTB file and upload it to that activity, because it just calls everything "bike."
    As for the data, I personally don't do a ton of analysis on it. I can get extraordinarily overanalytical on things, so I learned a while ago that I have my best training when I just play dumb athlete and do what coach says. He's prescribed some intervals based on a combination of pace and power, but never "run 3 minutes at 450 W" like you'd see on a cycling workout. He's definitely doing a lot more of the analysis with it, perhaps moving the files over into Stryd's data center (I think, if that's possible?) because I get a lot more form cues in my workouts now than I ever did before. "Focus on reducing ground contact time," "keep an eye for rogue arm swings," etc. They're all things that I guess we previously knew were likely issues, but harder to quantify.
    AaronWebsteyRobert Rankin
  • Options
    Thanks. Sounds like it's quite a hassle.

• Options
    It's really no different from making sure my MTB rides are coded as such in TP. I'll usually just change the workout type from the app on my phone as Garmin Express is pulling the data, because pushing to TP is the very last thing it does. As for the actual data, though, I'm not a good one to tell you what to do, as I just try to do what coach tells me. I've played around in the Stryd forums for debugging a bit, but I know they have some good discussion on data parsing there and features that I haven't really gotten into.
    Robert Rankin
  • Options
    Yeah I think I'll just pick up a foot pod instead haha. I'd end up just over analyzing all the data anyway
    idking90

• Options
    Yea, I think if you have HR, pace, elevation, cadence, and a good memory of conditions, you're like 98% of the way there.
    One exception is the handful of runs I've done on a treadmill. There, with speed fixed, it was good to see how power changed if I made tweaks
  • Options
    The Garmin Run HR strap along with the 920 records more run data then anyone could ever want or need.
  • Options
    I'm still with a 910. Just looking for cadence and saw Stryd for sale somewhere cheap. I'll just buy a foot pod

• Options

Just looking for cadence and saw Stryd for sale somewhere cheap. I'll just buy a foot pod

How come?

• Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Does the 910 not record cadence based on arm swing? My (much) cheaper TomTom does this, but it is the multisport with swimming (in)capabilities.
  • Options
    KMRyanTriKMRyanTri Member, Pro Triathlete
    I've got one. I'm not sure how much use it has beyond usage on a treadmill. Like it was mentioned above, I view it a more of an 'economy meter". On easy runs at a constant pace, I look for ways to minimize power output.

I've found that dropping my shoulders, raising my hands, and slightly increasing cadence drops my power output by about 10%. I can then apply those form cues out on the road without being a slave to the device.
    idking90
  • Options
    The 910 doesn't do cadence like the 920 (or apparently TomTom) does, a foot pod is necessary. Trying to justify spending $100+/- on a Stryd or $30 on a foot pod. I think, based on what I'm hearing, I'd end up pretty much just using the Stryd for the cadence capabilities anyway. Just not sure I see justifying spending 3x's as much on the Stryd.

• Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    @Robert Rankin I have never once worried about running cadence (or cycling, for that matter) and the few times I've even taken a count of it, didn't result in me doing anything about it. It's a fairly naturally selected metric that will be based on your pace and stride length, and the more you run, the more your body will sort itself out. I don't think anything from the Stryd will be a game changer for you (or even a footpod unless you want more accurate distance/rTSS on a treadmill).
  • Options
    Robert RankinRobert Rankin Member
    edited February 2016
    I've never tracked cadence while running. I glance at it riding but ride solely off power. I do try to keep cadence above a certain number but never know until after my ride whether I've succeeded. I'd like to see running cadence, I think, to see how I differ in short races vs long. Also the wife is a little over 5 months now so I see a few more treadmill runs in my future

• Options
    simonsen77simonsen77 Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I've got a foot pod you can have for the cost of postage. Or, I'm about to drive from Gainesville to Atlanta - when I get to I-10 I can throw it in your direction (Jax?)
    First #BAAW Badge Recipient
  • Options

I've got a foot pod you can have for the cost of postage. Or, I'm about to drive from Gainesville to Atlanta - when I get to I-10 I can throw it in your direction (Jax?)

Sold. Shoot me a message you'd like me to send and how much via paypal. Not quite sure you've got the arm, I'm an hours drive from I-10/301. Probably quicker for you to hit 75 though, no? You in the area often? If so check out the Jax Tri series on drcsports.com

• Options
    PreachSwansonPreachSwanson Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    I have a Polar Blue Tooth foot pod that I don't need as Cadance on the run is now calculated in the watch (v800) itself and seems very accurate (compared to two pedometers at the same time all within 100 steps over 10k. I look at the metrics afterwards but almost never while running.
    Craig_D
    TRS Racing
    I'm an angel with an incredible capacity for beer

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch