frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

IM CDA Gets More Kona Slots

Kelly O'MaraKelly O'Mara Member, Pro Triathlete
I don't totally know why?

Comments

• Options
    I'm sure the fine print says somewhere that they are for the ever-increasing men's field. With all this 50 Women talk they need to ensure that the men maintain their stranglehold on the pier. #guysguy
    GasBomb
  • Options
    I was interested in CDA until they moved it to Aug. Very few NA spring options. #5Q
  • Options
    I have no strong opinions about the proportionality of age group slots. I'm more curious about where these came from -- assuming lottery spots? -- and why give them to CDA? Unless I'm missing something...
  • Options
    Yeah: it's called "it's six months before the race and it isn't anywhere close to selling out."

All their market research indicated the vast majority of their athletes wanted the summer to be able to train. The problem is that they've now oversaturated the second half of the year race-wise. CDA in June had always been an option for me living in the Northeast because I like early-season races. Now with it in August, why would I go there when I have Tremblant, Maryland, Louisville, and Chattanooga all in the same 8 week span?

So, easy solution: more Kona slots! That'll get some people on the fence to head out there instead.

KenElPescadoPeladoRobert RankinJames Langetcraigtri
    Resident Gear Guru
    Bike Crash Free Since August 4th, 2014
  • Options
    @Ryan Heisler Vineman hasn't sold out either...
  • Options
    The difference: Vineman is a new event for them and can be a "pattern of growth" race. It'd be a downright embarrassment for them if they don't sell out CdA with the new race date, so they're pulling every lever they've got (big email send, Kona slots, story on the front page IM.com about the reason for the new date...)
    Kelly O'Mara
    Resident Gear Guru
  • Options
    I don't understand how they're arriving at their claim of a cooler race in August than June. If you just take a few minutes and look at the average temps in June vs August, you'll find that June's average high is about 72F and the average high in August is 82F. Ummm...

So they're either betting that people who are willing to go to all the trouble of training for a 140.6 (and are usually crazy Type A lunatics to begin with) and will pay both a huge race fee and the travel costs, won't go to the trouble of looking this little nugget up, or that heat waves can't happen in August. Strange logic.
  • Options
    @Ryan Heisler hit the nail on the head. Low registration with the new dates, need to drive registrations.
  • Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM
    I wish they would move more races into mid July. I'm in the Northeast also but find the early June IM's too early. I think early July to mid July is a sweet spot, for me.
    Deep enough into the summer to get good training in but early enough so I have the rest of the summer to relax & spend time with the family.
  • Options
    June's perfect IMO. Start the real work in February and March, get outside for the last few big pieces of work and heat acclimate (if needed).

Plus cooler temperature races are my friend.
    Resident Gear Guru
  • Options
    Jennifer PostJennifer Post Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter

@Ryan Heisler hit the nail on the head. Low registration with the new dates, need to drive registrations.

It's also the same weekend as Challenge Penticton and with Penticton hosting 2017 ITU Worlds, IMC is likely thinking of this year and next year. http://challenge-penticton.com/all-change-in-2016/

James LangeDHansenTri
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Penticton has been dealt a steady stream of body blows over the past couple years and I think that WTC is hoping that this is the upper-cut to the chin that will finally finish them off.

• Options

It's also the same weekend as Challenge Penticton and with Penticton hosting 2017 ITU Worlds, IMC is likely thinking of this year and next year. http://challenge-penticton.com/all-change-in-2016/

Penticton is Aug 28. CdA is Aug 21.

Choose life… But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life. I chose somethin’ else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you’ve got triathlon?

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Honestly, marketing works. Today I found myself thinking 'maybe I should do CDA; I planned to once before.' This, even though I already have a Kona spot AND I will most likely be out of the country 8/21. Yet, they still got me thinking it sounded like a good idea.
    Ryan HeislerJoshR
  • Options
    I'm with @Ryan Heisler on this one. The original date of CdA was perfect right at the end of June. After Texas the next North American IM is more than 2 months out (Placid and Canada).

Even if Penticton is Aug 28th it's still, for all intents and purposes, the exact same timing. I'm sure the thinking of WTC was to try and assassinate its competition yet again. I seriously hope it backfires and they eat their ass on this.
    lisasmelser

Living life in pursuit of triathlon greatness and not pissing off my wife. Also trying to understand Dark Mark and why he's left New York yet again, but this time for Oklahoma. At least it's not Florida.

• Options

Even if Penticton is Aug 28th it's still, for all intents and purposes, the exact same timing. I'm sure the thinking of WTC was to try and assassinate its competition yet again. I seriously hope it backfires and they eat their ass on this.

US dollar gets you $1.39 in Canada right now. Plus Penticton is the warmup to the ITU LC world's course in 2017. Will that be enough to entice Americans across the border? Maybe, maybe not.

Choose life… But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life. I chose somethin’ else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you’ve got triathlon?

• Options
    HSeeley14HSeeley14 Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    @DHansenTri you can bet that is exactly what they are doing. Every since WTC got out of the Penticton game they have been trying to kill that whole race venue. It really is a shame because it is one of the best race venues around in my humble opinion, but unless the current owners can find a niche that sticks for the next few years and get a solid bunch of regular competitors I am afraid WTC will be successful in killing it.
  • Options
    Zach MillerZach Miller Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    If it was a secret it is not anymore, come one come all and get your free kona slot here
    rigpig
  • Options
    rigpigrigpig Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Shepherd said:

I don't understand how they're arriving at their claim of a cooler race in August than June. If you just take a few minutes and look at the average temps in June vs August, you'll find that June's average high is about 72F and the average high in August is 82F. Ummm...

Yes @Shepherd I am hoping it is way warmer than the June race. I froze my ass off in 13 and 14. Of course missed out on the warm one in 15 to go to free my ass off in Whistler.

Kevin Brydges
    You're the rig guy? You don't look like you worked on rigs....
  • Options
    rigpigrigpig Member, Rooster Endurance Member

If it was a secret it is not anymore, come one come all and get your free kona slot here

F-me @TRIFantasy, I sure hope so! This may be the luck I need to get my ass a spot! 3 spots away in Whistler last year, so going back to a familiar track for one last shot at it. If I don't get a spot there this year, I am done trying.

Kevin Brydges
    You're the rig guy? You don't look like you worked on rigs....
  • Options
    It was pointed out on twitter that they used a female pro's photo for their advertisement.....oh, the irony.
    lisasmelser
  • Options
    ItsShugItsShug Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    I'm still holding out for a celebrity spot at Kona
    Aaron WebsteyKelly O'MaraFastCat1107JoshRM_WareCraig_D
    Demotivational Speaker
    Master of the Absurd - King of all Polls
    Kansas Native
    Tweets Me  Follow ItsShug
  • Options
    Well, that's 50 of the former lottery slots...
    Resident Gear Guru
  • Options
    I hope Louisville gets some...
  • Options
    Perhaps this is old news, but when I saw in Triathlete Mag that Xiamen China 70.3 is getting 15 slots to Kona 2017 I was a bit surprised. I think this is the only 70.3 giving out Championship slots: ironman.com/triathlon/events/asiapac/ironman-70.3/xiamen.aspx#axzz3zzmTrKPw

Living life in pursuit of triathlon greatness and not pissing off my wife. Also trying to understand Dark Mark and why he's left New York yet again, but this time for Oklahoma. At least it's not Florida.

• Options
    @DHansenTri Makes sense, given everything they've said about expansion in China.
    Ryan HeislerJames Lange

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch