frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Idea: AltTri Wiki

AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
Good day,

After reading some of the posts about ST legendary threads, and seeing comments here and on Twitter about stuff in the triathlon social media canon that were unfamiliar to me, I decided to start a wiki: "Your reference guide to multisport counterculture. Popular threads, notable personalities, legendary events, viral rumours - a living history of infamy in an un-famous sport."

http://alttri.wikia.com/

My intent is to catalogue all of the non-mainstream people, events, threads, and other "things" that can take months or years to catch up on if you're new to the triathlon scene, or just new to the tri social media scene. If you are so inclined, go ahead and write a page about something of your choosing :) Examples of pages I envision seeing there:

- Finman
- T3
- SM Personalities like @TheRealStarky , @Dark_Mark , Tri Excuse
- Podcasters like Jim & The Other guy, Babbit, etc
- Industry personalities like @Duckies, DC Rainmaker
- Site descriptions like the couple I have there (perhaps expanded upon), triathlete mag, lava, etc
- Crowie's fake retirement
- The IMF fiasco

You get the picture. Basically, if it's A Thing in triathlon other than your normal athletes, races, banal industry info, etc, it could have a roundup-style description and a list of reference links. Do you think this would be useful/popular?

Oh and the design is shit, I just threw something together - there are some options to edit themes on wikia and I'll do so if it looks like people might actually use it.

Disclaimer: this is my own initiative, and not a request from TRS or anyone else, so if anyone bitches about content, copyright, etc, direct it at me, @AaronWebstey . That being said, if people think it's a good idea and some content starts getting generated by users, promotion from by any well-known source would be welcome :)

PS - for the non-nerds out there, the title "AltTri" is in reference to the alt.* newsgroups, which are used for all things non-mainstream.
AltTri Wiki
  1. Do you think people would be interested in a reference wiki for triathlon counterculture?12 votes
    1. No
      16.67%
    2. Yes
      66.67%
    3. Aw hell yeah
      16.67%

Comments

• Options
    KMRyanTriKMRyanTri Member, Pro Triathlete
    Don't forget a page on the sport's most dyslexic pedophile, Brett Sutton.
    AaronWebsteyHSeeley14
  • Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    @KMRyanTri yes, he would make a great entry! No pun intended.
    Ryan Heisler
  • Options
    Poor, poor Sutto... 13's gotta be the age of consent somewhere. (sarcasm)

ST vets love a good doper story. Plenty of those around, especially with the constant influx of ex-pro (banned) cyclists making the switch over. So maybe add a doper section.

I think it is an interesting idea.
    Ryan HeislerAaronWebsteyDuckies
  • Options
    @TimOLeary thanks! I added a section for dopers :)
  • Options
    What IS it with you and putting me up against Ray?!

I kid, I kid. He deserves an entry, I'm barely a footnote right now.

I'll happily help out where I can; do you want informative articles as well, or am I allowed to link to tech articles I've written explaining stuff in tri?
  • Options
    @Duckies ha - yeah, we just lump all you gearheads together in one big squishy basket :). But for me at least, you're part of the current tri landscape and that's the sort of thing I'm looking to list/describe there.

My idea for the site is mostly to describe the culture around the sport; however, I can picture some situations where a link to a tech article would be warranted and in fact required for a proper article. For example, if there were an article called something like "The Great TrainingMask Debate", and you had written something about TrainingMask - quotes from, and a link to, the article would be the sort of thing you'd expect to see. @HansBielat 's writeup on this forum about the rise of the BTA bottle as a trend actually reads almost like a wiki entry already, and might be another spot where tech articles would be cited. I can also picture some of your stuff on aero jargon etc being useful if there were an article about wind tunnel testing, for example.

The idea I'm going with is: pick a subject, imagine how you would describe that in a few sentences (or maybe even paragraphs) to someone who knew nothing about it, write that description as the wiki article, then provide links for reference.

And in fact, you've inspired me to make another category called "Tech Trends". I think you can picture what I'm talking about - rather than listing reviews of beam bikes, there might be an article called "The Return of the Beam Bike", that has a bit of background history, info about when they started to come back into style, and quotes from/links to your and/or other content that talks about them. This sort of article would be VERY useful in my opinion - but that's just me :).

In the end, it's a wiki - anyone can post whatever they want and I will welcome any contributions! And unless it's blatantly stupid or shameless plugs for products/sites, I'll probably be too lazy to pull anything people post :)
    DuckiesHansBielat
  • Options
    @Duckies and of course, what the fuck do I know - if you had anything in mind that doesn't match what I was rambling about, it's probably a good idea and will get people interested, based on your track record.
  • Options
    Don't forget AlmostCurious, definitely deserves a mention!
    AaronWebstey
    seems like kind of an asshole =)
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    An entry on pee-gate is a must.
    AaronWebstey

• Options
    I think this us a great idea, too bad the search function on ST is so much shit. I have a couple ideas ready to roll that don't require too much research. It will be interesting to see how this evolves.
    WTC Free since 2010

• Options
    Awesome @WadeCutter - I encourage you and everyone to toss anything on there that you feel like! It can always be edited and updated later. That's the beauty of a wiki :) @james_lange pee-gate is in fact a must - and we can add the alternate title of pissmageddon or whatever that was :)
  • Options
    @AaronWebstey , so how do you get started? Register and go to town?
    WTC Free since 2010

• Options
    @WadeCutter yep! Go nuts! I started one on @TheRealStarky , feel free to add your own, edit mine, whatever! Thanks!!

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch