frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Pro prize purse based on AG participation?

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though
James Lange

Comments

• Options
    I'm assuming they're going to calculate the registered number of people for all races at that location, not just the Olympic?

If so it seems like most races would offer a $7500 prize purse for Olympic distance which seems pretty good. I wonder how deep it will pay.

Says there will be live updates and video too which will be cool.
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
  • Options
    Makes pro athletes have a vested interest in the success of the race, as the size of the available paycheck suddenly scales. Not a bad methodology. Also cool to see them offer the 2x supersprint and Olympic offerings. It's the hole in the North American marketplace at this point.
    Resident Gear Guru
    Bike Crash Free Since August 4th, 2014
  • Options
    We will count participation in all of the races, not just the Olympics. The idea is that the Pros can activate their followers and get them to come race with us. It doesn't matter if it is the Half or the Olympic, we just want them racing with us! Hope this answers the question.

Charlie
    Aaron WebsteyMattRobert Rankinjakesaundersdhrneil5youngGranpa ChooklakercrTad_MBrooks Doughtieandrewm88Brent_R
  • Options
    Pretty good idea to hold athletes accountable and actually show when they say they will.

• Options
    trsradio69trsradio69 Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    It's not like you got the thing on Sunday.

• Options
    TRS_tri said:

My bad. I checked before posting. I have no life and was on Facebook when they posted. No secret I'm a big fan of this move

• Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    TRS_tri said:

#EAD
    KenElPescadoPelado
    #KOAT
  • Options

I'm assuming they're going to calculate the registered number of people for all races at that location, not just the Olympic?

If so it seems like most races would offer a $7500 prize purse for Olympic distance which seems pretty good. I wonder how deep it will pay.

Says there will be live updates and video too which will be cool.

First off I applaud Rev3 for bringing back pro purses. It's bloody hard to be in this industry and support pros without some large funds from someone/something. So either you find a rich Arabian prince apparently, Fortune 500 company or your own bank account. But if your own bank account is dependent on registration numbers then your kinda stuck in the muck.

Now it's a great that they are doing it. They are putting together a good partnership w pros to atleast take advantage or try to get the fans of pro's to races. This is the ultimate deal of "you can race with your pro hero" .

$10k prize purse can be worth going for if your likely top 2. I would think only top 2 would break even on expenses. $5k likely no one makes it unless you live in the surrounding area of the races and have no travel expenses.

Every race is mid Atlantic - northeast. Means anyone from Cali-Texas-Florida likely has to fly in.

How do you pay for pros? I mean we all want pros to be paid more, but how do we actually achieve that? Even IM where they have a larger pro purse is mainly dependent on registration numbers to help offset the cost of having pro purse.

So my question is, has the sport unearthed every stone in the attempt to make the sport more media visible? We simply are what we are? Is there anything we can do to improve the marketability of the sport??

I've always wondered what it would cost or how much work it would take to have live (or slightly delayed) on course videos from athlete bikes at kona or something like that. IM was once sponsored by GoPro, just seemed like cool idea. Hell maybe it can't even be done on the fly. Just curious of some ideas. Yes I know watching a non-draft peloton may be boring, but just figured it's another angle they can maybe show?

One of my cousins was a golfer on LPGA and the lower tours. She never made many cuts on lpga but won on lower tour. The lower tour had $100k weekly purses because each golfer usually had to pay ~$500 to enter. Now she lived like Tri pros do on the road. Homestays, 3-4 sharing rental car etc., she did get all her equipment free and most of her golf attire. Said that was pretty standard for most golfers. I think in her 7 year career she's made roughly $7k/yr average.

I thought it was interesting that they would get usually 150 players to pay $500 for roughly
    22 tournaments a year to try and make lpga tour. 74 minor league golfers made $10k or less w no media coverage, but most all had equipment costs covered.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch