frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Heavy/Death/Grind/Black/Weird Metal

Comments

• Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    Was at Tyr and Orphaned Land last night. What a fun show!
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member

Just found this band today. Atmospheric black metal with a hint of folk. Quite good!

https://wiltmanitoba.bandcamp.com/album/ruin

"Inspired by Cormac McCarthy's The Road "

Nice.
  • Options
    Slayer's farewell tour (with Testament, Behemoth, Anthrax, Lamb of God opening)

Full set in San Diego from 2018-05-10

AaronWebstey
  • Options
    wchevronwchevron Member
    Good riddance. Bring back LIMP BIZKIT!
  • Options
    Alien Weaponry is a three-piece band from Waipu, New Zealand. A lot of their material is sung in the Māori language. “We listened to all sorts of music when we were younger,” says lead singer and guitarist Lewis de Jong, “but we were drawn to thrash metal because it’s quite complex music, and it is a great vehicle for expressing real stories and emotions.” “It also works with Te Reo Māori (the Māori language),” adds his brother Henry. “Both the musical style and the messages have a lot of similarities with haka, which is often brutal, angry and about stories of great courage or loss.”

• Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    How old people think, “They could open for Tina Turner at the Thunderdome.”
    MattTad_MAaronWebstey
    Queen of All Pins and A+ Enabler
    Send your Pinterest suggestions to me at:
    QOAP@triroost.com
    http://www.pinterest.com/triroost/
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options
    Currently trying to headbang in 19/16 at the Astronoid, Plini and Tesseract show.
  • Options
  • Options
    Power Trip played in George Stromboulopoulos' living room.

*yes, that former Much Music VJ extraordinaire
    MartinAaronWebstey
  • Options
    Wham vs Slayer: Careless Whisper in the Abyss

• Options
    Dave Grohl is awesome

• Options
    Accidentally (I am accidentally an idiot) bought tickets to both Elder and Deafheaven this Sunday in Portland. I thought one was on Saturday (the idiocy). So now I must choose, but I think I've already chosen Elder.

@kevinschummer want my Deafheaven ticket?
    M_WareMattAaronWebstey
  • Options
    Go see Elder. 100% (although I hear great things about the new Deafheaven)
    Granpa Chook
  • Options
    @Matt Definitely. Elder has been most listened to band of the last year. The new Deafheaven has some great things and some not so great things.
    Mattkevinschummer
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    edited August 11
    @Matt , Not embarrassed to disclose that my wife says I would marry Dave Grohl. Now I'll have to move to Utah.
    Love the change at 16:18.
    Matt

#Sworry 2019 - See you there!
  • Options
    Just saw Foo Fighters at Fenway Park 2 weeks ago. Fantastic show, and I'm not even a big fan.
    AaronWebsteyMattTad_MPevashishDaul
  • Options
    NECKBEARD DEATHCAMP - White Nationalism is for Basement Dwelling Losers

Bandcamp

Even features some EABOD
    Granpa Chookmbrekk44
  • Options
    @Matt Elder was ridiculously good last night. Nick Di Salvo is the shit. He melted my brain last night and now I can't even taste my coffee this morning. They blew out a couple amps and still killed it.
    MattAaronWebstey
  • Options

Accidentally (I am accidentally an idiot) bought tickets to both Elder and Deafheaven this Sunday in Portland. I thought one was on Saturday (the idiocy). So now I must choose, but I think I've already chosen Elder.

@kevinschummer want my Deafheaven ticket?

this is some BULLSHIT. I go out of town for a bit and miss fuckin ELDER. Goddamit. I'm still warming up on Deafheaven, never dug Sunbather that much but the new record is quite good. But fuckin' Elder rips my shit. So, long story, I would've joined you at Elder if I wasn't melting in FL. FML
    Granpa ChookM_Ware
  • Options
    @kevinschummer They ripped it. It was the best show I've been to in a while.
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    OK, I know I'm not a metal guy - don't kill me.
    I'm liking AIC's new Rainier Fog quite a bit. Critics are panning it, but I like it. I think they should have released Fly as the first single from it a few months ago rather than the choices they led off with.
    Does this have enough metal DNA to qualify in a discussion like this?
    Matt

#Sworry 2019 - See you there!
  • Options
    I'd put them in the Grunge/Alternative label before I'd call them Metal. But it's heavy and if it's reviewed by Overkill/Banger TV, then it counts.

Tad_M
  • Options
    Hot damn, this one is a contender for best of 2018 (alongside Slugdge of course)

Rivers of Nihil - "Where Owls Know My Name"

Granpa Chookkevinschummer
  • Options
    Granpa ChookGranpa Chook Member
    edited August 26
    @Matt I like those. My favorites this year so far have been the new Yob, and the Sleep album.
    Matt
  • Options

MattM_WareGranpa ChookAaronWebsteyMartinCraig_D
  • Options
    I'm seeing Helloween tonight with both Michael Kiske AND Kai Hansen.
  • Options
  • Options
    So I saw Edmonton's Striker open for Vancouver's Unleash the Archers last night.

Glory to 80s Speed Metal is right, @wchevron

And as for UtA, holy shit does the singer hit every note like on the record.

• Options
    Sunday was a little Melodic Death/Symphonic Metal with Gone in April, featuring some operatic vocals, violins and the project is headed by the former drummer from one of my all-time favourite bands, Quo Vadis. Features the legendary Steve DiGiorgio (Death, Testament, etc.) on bass.

And tonight was Rivers of Nihil (posted above on 24-August) together with Revocation.

• Options
    gregkgregk Member

Serious question: what does it mean to be a "purist" when there are classifications called "straight, classic death, grind, and black", and then it "gets weird" BEYOND that? If I played a song for the 3 of you, what are the chances that all 3 would classify it in the same category? How blurry are the lines?

@dhr @Matt and I think @kevinschummer

I'm late to this party, and the lines are blurry. That said, if this doesn't fuck your day up in all the best ways and make you shed tears of joy, there's something wrong with you.

AaronWebsteyMatt
    The Dude at Minimal Multisport Podcast, Blog, and YouTube.
    MY PATREON!

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch