frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

New Road Bike

So I am looking at getting my first road bike. I have been borrowing one for the time being but it is a hunk of junk, for lack of a better term.. My budget is around $1300. I have everything else (pedals, cleats, shoes) so the bike will be the only expense. So far I have found Felts ZW85-WSD that fits the billet, it has 105 everything, Carbon front fork and a 50/34 crank and is 11 speed. Listed here its at $1,349 http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2015/Bikes/road/Fit-Woman-/zw85.aspx

1) is this a good deal or should I be looking for some form of a discount from bike shops?
2) does anyone have other suggestion that would be in this range price and spec wise?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Felt is going to be very difficult to beat from a component standpoint; they tend to be very aggressive with pricing, giving you 105 for the other guy offering Tiagra or Sora. That being said, pretty much any named shifting group at this point in the Shimano line-up is worthy of consideration. That also extends over to Rival from SRAM.

Fitting is obviously paramount, but stack/reach tends to be way more streamlined in most road frames. Way less variation than you find in tri.

The Trek Madone 2.1 for 2015 is also a bike right at that price point with a mostly 105 set-up: http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/performance_race/madone/madone_2_1_h2_compact/

Can usually also find one of the aluminum Cannondale Synapse's around that price point as well.

Also, don't know if our agreement with Falco also extends to the road bikes, but might be worth shooting something to Binny about it.

AaronWebstey
    Resident Gear Guru
    Bike Crash Free Since August 4th, 2014
  • Options
    _MurMan_MurMan Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    @rrheisler the only thing with falco is it would need an entire build up. They don't sell components. So she would have to buy everything.. which adds up quick.
    AaronWebstey
    Sean Murnane - East Coast Hooligan
  • Options
    @_MurMan I've found Competitive Cyclist to be helpful with their full build kits. Or, in the alternative, scouring appropriate classifieds to get it done. I find components tend to hold up pretty well to being the 2nd or 3rd owner (excluding the "consumable" stuff like chainrings and cassettes).
    Resident Gear Guru
  • Options
    _MurMan_MurMan Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I wish I would've known about that site when upgrading.. @rrheisler
    Sean Murnane - East Coast Hooligan
  • Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    What size? I have a road bike I'd love to sell :)
    Duckies
  • Options
    Julia ChevlinJulia Chevlin Member
    edited January 2015
    Thanks so much @rrheisler! I really appreciate all your help. @AaronWebstey size 47-50 depending on the build! B-)
    AaronWebstey
  • Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    @juliachevlin not even close, mine is a 54 :) Good luck though, sounds like you'll have no problems finding something with all the help around here!
    _MurMan
  • Options
    So I went to Tri360 in Arlington, Virginia and the owner recognized my @therealstarky shirt immediately! So naturally I walked out with this fancy new bike and matching bottle cage.... Thanks @rheisler and @aaronwebstey for the insight and help. I really appreciate it! I can't wait for the weather to cooperate and to Rock the Cock this race season!
    Ryan HeislerHMkrplunkitGentlemanJerseyDaveJames Lange
  • Options
    What'd you wind up with?
    Resident Gear Guru
  • Options
    So I went to Tri360 in Arlington, Virginia and the owner recognized my @therealstarky shirt immediately! So naturally I walked out with this fancy new bike and matching bottle cage...
    Thanks @rheisler and @aaronwebstey for the insight and help. I really appreciate it! I can't wait for the weather to cooperate and to Rock the Cock this race season!
    GentlemanJerseyDavemorganstyerHeatherLow
  • Options
    @rrheisler the felt zw85. i love it!
    p.s. @AaronWebstey help i don't know why it posted twice and won't let me delete!
  • Options
    Ryan HeislerRyan Heisler Member
    edited January 2015
    Nice! Enjoy. Should be a great solid ride to put some miles on.
    _MurManJulia Chevlin
    Resident Gear Guru
  • Options
    Congrats! New bikes are always fun! :)
    Julia Chevlin
    Zach Boring, Overly Average Looking Man

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch