frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Angola Prison Race

Kelly O'MaraKelly O'Mara Member, Pro Triathlete
This Escape from Angola Prison race looks kind of amazing/ridiculous: http://escapefromangola.com

I sort of want to do it, but I've never heard of it before. Sounds like they had problems pulling it off last year? Anyone know anything? (I'm also sort of torn on if it's exploitive of the prisoners or not.)

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2015
    I don't get it, why do we need a race in and around a working prison. I have no qualms about exploiting prisoners but why is this place so special? Forgive me I'm not from the south so dont know the prisons history. At least the Alcatraz races are based on making an escape from a rock in the middle of the San Francisco bay, and has some sort of history.
  • Options
    I'm out - paper mache head will not be ready in time.
    Mark_after_Dark

• Options
    When I saw Escape form Angola I thought this was a punchy (rather politically incorrect) international race you had in mind!!!
  • Options
    Elaine KElaine K Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    My National Guard armory is in a town with 9 prisons / detention centers. I could have that experience anytime, and I've never chosen to do it.
    If I do the Escape from Angola, can I be armed? I've always wanted to ride my bike with my M4.
    mbrekk44
    Tucson, AZ
  • Options
    Elaine K said:

My National Guard armory is in a town with 9 prisons / detention centers. I could have that experience anytime, and I've never chosen to do it.
    If I do the Escape from Angola, can I be armed? I've always wanted to ride my bike with my M4.

That's not very aero.
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    Elaine K said:

I've always wanted to ride my bike with my M4.

If you come down to train in the Woodlands, you can do that legally. Texas allows open carry of rifles, and will permit handguns starting Jan 1. Looks like I'll be moving. While I understand it makes no real-world difference to open carry vs. concealed, I don't need my kid to see everyone walking around here with them.
  • Options
    I've lived in TX my entire life and I can't recall ever seeing anyone open carrying a rifle. Carrying a handgun will be much more convenient but for the most part I don't think your kids will "see everyone walking around here with them.

• Options
    Elaine KElaine K Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    JoshR said:

Elaine K said:

That's not very aero.
    More aero than the M249, but not quite as fun.
    Tucson, AZ
  • Options
    Didn't they attempt to get this off the ground last year and had to cancel?

Great Uncle, Average Father, Mediocre Triathlete

• Options
    Kelly O'MaraKelly O'Mara Member, Pro Triathlete

That's what I thought. So I kinda want to see it go off once before I commit.

• Options

That's what I thought. So I kinda want to see it go off once before I commit.

If indeed they've been working out details for over a year, I give it a better than average chance to succeed. This is the type of race I would love to support. I especially like the non conventional distances.

We did have a little bit of a hold up as the original race date was March 29, 2015. There were some communication lines crossed, a general misunderstanding and the hectic holiday season to deal with. The original race date was cancelled, but we quickly learned that Angola and the Department of Corrections were indeed interested in having the race, just not so quickly.
    WTC Free since 2010

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch