frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Running scared

James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
I am just starting the 3rd week of a 20 week program as I train for my first ever marathon in May. Training is going well but in order to stick to the program I have had to do something that I've never really done before: start runs (that aren't bricks) with tired legs. In the past my training was always informal and if my legs were hurting from a run then I didn't run, or I'd alter the run I was planning (slower and/or shorter), or I'd bike/swim. That's not an option now and I am worried that I might suffer an injury because of the fatigue. Any tips for injury prevention for higher volume run training?


Comments

  • Options
    Just be sure to make your easy runs truly EASY. Usually the biggest problem.

    Sleep is the other key. You don't get the proper recovery, you're not going to reap the benefits of those miles.

    Foam roll. Stretch. Raise your legs as needed. If you have a shitton of disposable income, I loved my NormaTec boots (one of the perks of working at Rev3 when they were a sponsor...) Make sure you're rotating shoes; have at least two pair going throughout training.

    And, lastly, because I couldn't help myself: HTFU. :D
    AaronWebsteyHSeeley14James LangeRobert Rankin
    Resident Gear Guru
    Bike Crash Free Since August 4th, 2014
  • Options
    I'm a big fan of baths with epson salts at least once a week and foam rolling.
    James Lange
  • Options
    HSeeley14HSeeley14 Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    Watch Run Fat Boy Run and don't do what he did. Also what was said above is good, especially the part about going easy on your long/easy runs. If 90yr old grannies with canes are passing you and you feel like you would move faster if you walked and you are itching with every step to go faster, then you are doing it right :) Good on yah for tackling a stand alone marathon, I hate those fucking things.
    James Lange
  • Options
    PreachSwansonPreachSwanson Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    I would also add that the mind is a killer... I listen to audio books, podcasts, sermons etc... to distract me on long slow runs. The speaking pace is much slower than the pace of music and helps keep the tempo down and the story keeps me from hating life.
    James Lange
    TRS Racing
    I'm an angel with an incredible capacity for beer
  • Options
    Depending on where you live, if you can find a cheap/not too seedy massage place, considering going there every or every other week. In my case, there are a couple Chinese massage places around where you can get worked on for an hour and it only costs ~$30. Money very well spent when you're putting in a lot of miles. Or if you have access to a hot tub in your complex/gym, go there often. As @rrheisler said, recovery is key.

    Got me through 53 runs in 30 days during a run challenge/block my team was doing.

    If you can, also get some of your running done on trails/gravel roads as the softer surface will lessen the pounding that will invariably accumulate.
    James Lange
    seems like kind of an asshole =)
  • Options
    @james_lange totally get where you're coming from. This is the biggest reason I've never trained for a stand alone marathon. Probably all mental, but I believe my training in swim, bike, run, even for iron distance races, has prevented overuse injuries from individual disciplines. Regardless, I'm a big fan of the foam roller, but probably haven't stretched in over a year. I'd still suggest if your legs are really that tired, a swim, or bike in place of the run periodically would still be beneficial and nothing to freak out over.
    TheoJames Lange
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    rrheisler said:

    Just be sure to make your easy runs truly EASY. Usually the biggest problem.

    Sleep is the other key. You don't get the proper recovery, you're not going to reap the benefits of those miles.

    Foam roll. Stretch. Raise your legs as needed. If you have a shitton of disposable income, I loved my NormaTec boots (one of the perks of working at Rev3 when they were a sponsor...) Make sure you're rotating shoes; have at least two pair going throughout training.

    And, lastly, because I couldn't help myself: HTFU. :D

    Thanks for the tips @rrheisler! I've never done the rotating shoes thing, but I am certainly intrigued. I've had a lot of luck with the zero drop shoes from Altra. My 3sums were just awesome for me this past season. Now I am using a new pair of Altra Ones since the 3sums seem to have been discontinued. What might be a good shoe to pair with them?


  • Options
    Why not something like the Olympus from them? Same drop, whole bunch o' cushioning for the easy/volume days.
    Resident Gear Guru
    Bike Crash Free Since August 4th, 2014
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member

    I would also add that the mind is a killer... I listen to audio books, podcasts, sermons etc... to distract me on long slow runs. The speaking pace is much slower than the pace of music and helps keep the tempo down and the story keeps me from hating life.

    I do all of my running in the winter on the treadmill, so I watch Netflix while I run, which has worked out pretty well for me.


  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Theo said:

    Depending on where you live, if you can find a cheap/not too seedy massage place, considering going there every or every other week. In my case, there are a couple Chinese massage places around where you can get worked on for an hour and it only costs ~$30. Money very well spent when you're putting in a lot of miles. Or if you have access to a hot tub in your complex/gym, go there often. As @rrheisler said, recovery is key.

    Got me through 53 runs in 30 days during a run challenge/block my team was doing.

    If you can, also get some of your running done on trails/gravel roads as the softer surface will lessen the pounding that will invariably accumulate.

    I wish I could get a massage for $30! the going rate where I live is $75/hr. I get $900 of coverage for massage from work, so I do get one massage a month for free. However, I usually ask the massage therapist to focus on my shoulders and neck which are always sore from swimming and sitting at a desk all day.

    I don't have access to a gym/club, but I do have a big bathtub at home that I use pretty much every day (although I don't ofter use epson salts as @heatherlow suggests).


  • Options
    @james_lange, they are called rub&tug's in Canada. official yellow pages category. May even be in the blue pages depending on how liberal your province is. Foam roller it out and do an "inversion" after running to help like this:
    http://www.gaiamtv.com/pose/legs-wall-pose-viparita-karani

    I always just called it my "gay yoga move" !
    TheoHSeeley14
    danimal
    Reformed Canadian
  • Options
    Pretty much everything @rrheisler said. Also be careful you're not ramping up your mileage too fast. Trying to go from 20 mpw to 40 mpw will probably result in injury no matter how slow you go.

    Congrats on the marathon. They're painfully rewarding. Of all the races I've done the standalone marathon is the most painful :)

    Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
    2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though
  • Options

    Theo said:


    I wish I could get a massage for $30! the going rate where I live is $75/hr. I get $900 of coverage for massage from work, so I do get one massage a month for free. However, I usually ask the massage therapist to focus on my shoulders and neck which are always sore from swimming and sitting at a desk all day.

    If you have a massage school in your city, there might be a student clinic which offers low cost massages. I have utilized the students many times in the past but of course quality varies.
    Theo
    WTC Free since 2010


Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch