frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Training Talk

Zach BoringZach Boring Member
edited December 2014 in Main
Guys, I have started a training google drive. Go to the link and request it. This thread is all about training and workouts. Discuss at will and post up when you upload to the google drive so people can check it out. 

Zach Boring, Overly Average Looking Man

Comments

• Options
    Zach BoringZach Boring Member
    edited December 2014
    To upload files, follow these steps:

1. Click on the link and select the folder you want to upload into

2. Click on the "Open in Drive" Button

3. Drag and drop files

NOTE: Once you do this process to all the folders, you shouldn't have to do this again. 
  • Options
    Zach MillerZach Miller Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
  • Options
    Is it blocked?
  • Options
    yournotuniqueyournotunique Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Unfollowed
    -I know it's wrong. Blame old AOL character limits. Illadelph |
  • Options
    @zachboring  this is all i see when i go to that link, when i click on the folders it gives me no options 

block
  • Options
    You should be able to click on the folders. And navigate. There is nothing in there yet.

If you wish to upload something, look at my second comment on how to do that. I will be uploading some genergy stuff this weekend to get it rolling.
  • Options
    I added the Computrainer PIG workouts, I live and die by these bike workouts for my ironman training.
  • Options
    Thread dredge.  Can anyone suggest how I might go about creating a training plan that slowly builds from New Years to Toughman NY 9/13?  I'm signed up for a couple of Oly distance races during the build: Escape the Cape on 6/14 and NJ State Tri on 7/19.  I'm also considering something early season, either Devilman on 5/3 or XTerra Jersey Devil on 4/28.
  • Options
    HSeeley14HSeeley14 Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    @MorganStyer have you ever done a half IM distance before? What is your base fitness now? In general I would start with a few months of base building (mostly endurance/easyish crap), but my experience is with longer distance so if you are adding in some fast Oly distance you may want to consult the more experienced oracles on here. Seems if your "A" race is the Toughman though I would simply treat the Oly's and other races as training/test/hard days and not really do a full build/taper/recover plan around them, but rather reduced load and just giver on those days and then right back to your plan.
  • Options
    @MorganStyer do the Xterra!
    seems like kind of an asshole =)
  • Options
    @MorganStyer I'd mostly agree with @HSeeley14, except that I think you should pick one or two Oly's and do them hard. An HIM isn't that much different pace-wise from an Oly, to be honest. I'd actually argue the difference is bigger sprint:Oly than Oly:HIM. Racing an Oly hard will give you an idea of what you need to do both pacing-wise and nutrition-wise for a longer race.

Now, if you're talk IM, that's a different thing altogether.
  • Options
    This is my first year of tri, @HSeeley14 base fitness is decent for winter. I can do 10x100s on 2:00 which gives me 10-15 seconds rest between intervals. On the bike I can do 40 miles of hills on the road bike and still average 15+ mph. My long rides in summer can exceed 70 miles. Not sure where my power numbers are, I have the meter but haven't really trained with it. Running is my weak point, but I can do a 5k at a 8:00 pace.
  • Options
    @MorganStyer Ah. Ok, then. Disregard pretty most of what I said. Except for the "race an Oly hard" part. Because that will still give you invaluable lessons for HIM race day.
  • Options
    HSeeley14HSeeley14 Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    @MorganStyer, sounds like you have a good fitness base. I am not a coach by any means and perhaps some others can chime in here, but I would focus on building up your endurance base in all three sports. Using a 3-4 week cyclical progression within your 2-3 month endurance build block start increasing your hours per week of training in each discipline (eg. week 1: 7-8hrs through to week 4 at 10-11hrs, then next 4wk cycle start at 8-10hrs and build up to wk 4). If you have a power meter and have the time to invest in learning how to train with it then I would do so as it will really help your cycling, especially when you are supposed to be dialing it back on recovery or easy days. But, power is not crucial at this point and it might be better not to overwhelm yourself with measuring every bloody metric out there. Training Peaks has a good power test if you are interested. I would focus on building up to 2+km in the swim, 2+hrs on the bike and up to 2hrs on the run. When I started I trained primarily with HR, perceived exertion and a training plan that was built around time not distances. I am sure you already know a lot of this, but if you have any questions and I can provide a semblance of an answer, just shoot.

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch