frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Am I the only cheap old miser out there?

AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
Reading many of these threads makes me feel like such a crotchety old cheapskate. Most of my gear was cheap (or free) to start with and is 8-10 years old. One of my training partners is a VP at Helly Hansen so a big gear highlight of the fall was when he gave me his old lightweight running jacket after the zipper broke on mine (which I had gotten from a sponsor in 2005). My bike shoes were a graduation gift in 2000.

I keep wearing/using this stuff because it still works and I can't bring myself to replace it otherwise. I.e., "that's the way it was, and we liked it!!". Is there anyone else out there who rocks the used/old/MEC/Walmart/JoeFresh style of 'plain, ugly, but works'?

That being said, @HansBielat I do not currently have an aero bottle :) I would love to have one of your fancy new rigs!
Theooldmanchad

Comments

• Options
    I worked in the run/tri industry for 10 years. So all my stuff was either seeded to me (read as: FREEEEEEEEE) or heavily discounted, with the exception of my bike.

Now that I'm on the outside, I have no idea how the fuck I afforded this sport in the first place. And we wonder why there's a participation problem.
    AaronWebsteyDuckiesHSeeley14Robert RankinADRBilly
    Resident Gear Guru
    Bike Crash Free Since August 4th, 2014
  • Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    @rrheisler that makes me feel a bit better. Thanks! And I agree, if I hadn't hung onto all my old shit, there's no way I could have even thought about starting back up again this fall.
  • Options
    Kinda wishing I was back in the game right now.

Needs: bike, helmet, running shoes.
    Budget: $0.

Whoops!
    AaronWebstey
    Resident Gear Guru
  • Options
    @AaronWebstey totally agree.

Most of my gear came from a two year consulting job for a running/multi-sport store and I have always been frugal, like if it isn't in the 'clearance' section I don't even look at it.

The only thing I really spend money on now is running shoes, otherwise I just reuse gear or fix it if I need to.

Case in point, my running shorts have a pocket for the original iPod nano and my bike which I love, A Kestrel Airfoil, has the original 650c wheelset. But it's a tribike and it still functions. Don't get me wrong though I'd love to buy new gear every year!
    AaronWebstey
    Welcome to Costco. I love you.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    @TimSchroeder I've searched a few times online for the old 650c "aero" tri bike I had back in 1999-2003. It was a frame called Porter and was made by some guy in northern New Brunswick who was a welder and into bikes. What a beauty. He made a couple dozen of em I think. I also am clearance-only - which results in getting to try out new kinds of running shoes every time I need a new pair :)

@rrheisler I currently have 2 helmets (I had like 5 of em back in the day when I was "sponsored" by Rudy Project) and could spot you one, but I guess without a bike that's kind of useless :S
  • Options
    @AaronWebstey working on it, good sir. Appreciate the offer.

The old Aegis frames were pretty badass, too.
    AaronWebstey
    Resident Gear Guru
  • Options
    PreachSwansonPreachSwanson Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    I'm mixed... I have a small fun money budget and I save up for the big things, or sell off other stuff (like I have been doing to build the Falco). I have a set of bike shoes that are old but work great. I buy my tires etc... on the clearance section at the bike shop if I can help it (last year they had great racing tires 65% off that they had gotten in the month before and then decided to change brands they carry). I also shop around, that said, if something is worth getting new and will last a long time then I'll save up and get it.

My favorite company to buy from is one called Filson and they say "might as well have the best." That is somewhat code for "expensive" but they back it up with a lifetime guarantee. They also make stuff so well that if it did break down I would consider buying it new instead of having them replace it simply because they built it so well that I didn't need three others in the mean time. I say that because that is also how I try to buy my gear, not to have the fanciest, but to have effective long lasting.

AaronWebstey
    TRS Racing
    I'm an angel with an incredible capacity for beer
  • Options
    Dont worry @AaronWebstey Im with you man...3 years into my profession that doesnt pay a lot and my wife that is a law student grad at an entry level job at a start up living in Boston makes me poor. no idea how people afford all of this! Im scraping by ha ha ha

I need a beer. jesus
    AaronWebstey
    village idiot
  • Options
    My bike was the biggest strictly-personal indulgence of my entire life. Typically I find a way for my hobbies to be self-supporting but I can't lie that I've sunk some major money into this sport in the past two years. That said, I haven't done anything this year and other than a possible seat I don't plan to.

I bought my tri-bike on a whim after a raise and the realization that I'd never in my life dropped a couple thousand dollars on something that was purely for me. It was both thrilling and painful at the same time, I wound up selling my old road bike due to guilt (which I regret). I definitely prefer the cheap way out and have that as a goal for this season.
    AaronWebstey
    Great Uncle, Average Father, Mediocre Triathlete
  • Options
    @GentlemanJerseyDave yeah, I hemmed and hawed about spending $30 on a visor I didn't "need"; I can't imagine ponying up a couple grand for a bike that I need even less. I am in the fortunate position of having 2 road bikes, so I'd happily sell my good one to offset the cost, but I don't think it would even get me within $2k of the total of a falco (or any other decent setup). I think I'll be sucking it up and racing on a roadie this year.

The thrill of just doing it is pretty tempting though, and good on you for going through with it!!

@PreachSwanson I like your approach. I do occasionally spring a bit of dough if it's something that I know will last, as my cheapness calculations will normally be performed in price per unit time where applicable :) I'll have to check out Filson.
  • Options
    This sport sometimes gives me an identity crisis. Somedays I feel like a rich old man who can get all the neat gear, until I remember that I am neither rich, old, nor a man.
    Ryan HeislerHSeeley14
    HMKP
  • Options
    @Kpressure I'm pretty sure you have an old soul. I used to hate that term for its vagueness but I think whatever it means, you are that.
    HMkrplunkit
  • Options
    Aw shucks @AaronWebstey

But I think I'm more of "get off my lawn" type of old.

Also congrats on the HH jacket! Those things are so expensive that the Norwegians who worked at the Norway ski shop thing in Epcot used to straight up steal them. No fear for a Norwegian.
    AaronWebstey
    HMKP
  • Options
    Also I am cheap/poor as shit. I didn't even pay fully for my road bike. My loved ones help with that (see - my boyfriend. Though he may have just felt embarrassed for me because I had been riding a steel Panasonic that was probably as old as me or older, since the age of 11 or so haha)

And it took me all summer to get clipless because that set up is $$$. Only got those because a friend sold me his amlost new second set of pedals for $50
    AaronWebstey
    HMKP
  • Options
    @Kpressure now that's my kinda frugal!!!
  • Options
    _MurMan_MurMan Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I did nothing but burn money on bikes and gear the entirety of 2014.. Now that 2015 is here I am on a strict budget of only paying for races and maybe a hotel if its more than a 2 and half hour drive! If theres on site camping then the bed of the truck conveniently becomes a pop up tent. So for the foreseeable future I will pretend I can afford new stuff and look at all of it and talk about but not actually be able to own anything new.
    HSeeley14
    Sean Murnane - East Coast Hooligan
  • Options
    Hear hear! Triathlon is not a cheap sport for sure, and I definitely abide by the philosophy to use things until they break, then fix them if possible to keep it going. How people drop 300$ on a pair of bike shoes is beyond me (or my budget).
    seems like kind of an asshole =)
  • Options
    This is all starting to make more sense. Thanks for letting me know I'm not crazy! (I rely solely on input from internet friends for self-validation.)
    HSeeley14PreachSwanson
  • Options
    HSeeley14HSeeley14 Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    It seems to be a newby thing to buy everything, or maybe it's just a rich thing - yeah, probably more of that. I think the first time you get into this sport it's such a whirlwind and most people end up spending WAY too much $ on crap they really don't need. I was totally guilty of that. You think, "oh shit, I just signed up for a race that has 3 sports in it and will take me more than 5 hours to finish, if I finish....better buy everything that shitty magazine and all my new douchy spando friends tell me!!" That's a simplified version, but that's how it goes basically. Now that I am old(er) I realize that unless I am competing for the top spot in the race, or maybe my age group, and I am already fit as hell, and that every second counts then there is no need for most of the mucho expensive fancy gadgets. While the latest aero helmet and some zippy Zipps might give me a few minutes overall (yes nerds I know those two things actually do give you a good time advantage, but try to see the overall point here through your new Rudy lenses) unless I am in shape and have done the training it doesn't fucking matter! I have the same two bikes I started with in 2008, the same bike shoes, same helmet, same glasses, etc.. When things break I generally just have to make do with a cheap replacement - like bike glasses from Rona. My MEC bike pants are held together with duct tape and work just fine. If I had money to burn would I buy crap? Sure, some. But I refuse to buy the really expensive crap like a new bike or wheels until I am a faster/stronger cyclist. There is nothing worse than the uber slow mofo out on the course riding the latest BMC TM01 with all the bells and whistles. Come on dude, what is the point?
    AaronWebstey_MurManScheck48HeatherLowTheooldmanchadADRBillyyournotunique
  • Options
    @HSeeley14 you're my new favourite.
  • Options
    @HSeeley14 isnt it the standard "if you look fast and feel fast, you must be fast"? And expensive stuff makes you fast, no training required!? Right? That's how it works, or at least that's what the magazine with all the pretty pictures said.
    AaronWebsteyScheck48HSeeley14Theo
  • Options
    speaking of expensive crap for people who don't actually even ride or run or swim, have you ever heard of Rapha? It looks like the Gucci of the hipster cycling world. http://www.rapha.cc/se/en/shop/lapelled-jacket/product/LPJ01
    AaronWebstey
  • Options
    That's classy as fuck!! @HSeeley14 almost up there with Van Dessels Lilly Pulitzer cruiser bike.
    AaronWebsteyHSeeley14
  • Options
    I'm horrible with spending money. I can afford the stuff I buy but usually feel bad as my gf/so/soon to be fiancé is so giving and wants me to have the best. She supports my decisions as long as I am happy and keep the lights on. Unfortunately I get buyers remorse and end up selling crap to offset costs and regret it and start the cycle again. I finally have everything I'm happy with and have no need to spend money on no standard wear items this year. This year I investing the money in her that I would normally spend. Hopefully I can stick to thay (need to deactivate my st acaces to the classifieds!)
    AaronWebsteyPreachSwansonHMkrplunkitHSeeley14
    Zach Boring, Overly Average Looking Man
  • Options
    If you're thinking about it and have any kind of remorse, you're way ahead of most people :)
  • Options
    You are not alone... Wish I could get all the new shiny stuff, but alas I work for miserly attorneys ( no offense intended), but seriously they don't pay! Therefore I got a lot of old stuff too, but it works and I feel happy just to be in the sport of triathlon.
    AaronWebstey
  • Options
    PreachSwansonPreachSwanson Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    @zachboring - she will be your best investment - good on you man!
    AaronWebsteyHMkrplunkit
    TRS Racing
    I'm an angel with an incredible capacity for beer
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    @HSeeley14 Your little rant reminds me of my very first triathlon when I saw an amazing bike in transition (can't remember what it was because I didn't know anything about bikes at the time) and I thought to myself "wow, this guy must be fast". I saw the guy later and he was legitimately obese. Good for him for doing the tri and trying to get in shape, but fuck, what a waste of quality carbon!
    HSeeley14AaronWebstey

• Options
    Ryan HeislerRyan Heisler Member
    edited January 2015
    In general, the more expensive the rig, the less likely it is to be used the way you think it should. Particularly at IM.

I came *thisclose* to following the "make your own carbon wheel fairing for 90 mm deep wheels" instructions a guy did over on ST. Simply because I like to tinker, and because I'm cheap.
    AaronWebstey
    Resident Gear Guru
  • Options
    @james_lange since @AaronWebstey has hijacked numerous threads I am going to go for it here...what really drives me nuts are the people who gloat about "qualifying" for such and such, but they forget to mention the HUGE footnote: there were 2 ppl in their age group, the 20 ppl before them didn't take the spot, etc. Good on yah for getting to the national team or worlds or whatever, but be fucking honest about it! There is a particular chick in our local tri club who is due for a solid box punch if I hear her talk about qualifying for worlds again (she was 2nd of 2ppl with a 6:00ish HIM). Ok. Rant número dos terminado, por ahora.
    kevinschummermorganstyerTheoAaronWebsteyPreachSwansondanimal

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch