frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Gear/Food intake Questions

_MurMan_MurMan Member, Rooster Endurance Member
So I have a few questions; first is about shoes: So I am looking to upgrade my shoes from an entry level Shimano tri shoe to something a little better. Any suggestions, expertise or guidance on that would be nice. 

Second: I'm trying to put on some weight (aka build muscle) and have been stuck at about 182 lbs.  So I was wondering if anyone had and calorie packed meal recipes or a protein powder/bars that could help with that?

Thanks
Sean Murnane - East Coast Hooligan

Comments

• Options
    I like my Louis Garneau Tri-300 shoe. I've used Pearl Izumi Tri Fly IV as well and prefer the single strap on the LG a lot more.

As far as gaining weight I can't help much there, I'm trying to do the exact opposite. 

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
    2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though
  • Options
    My opinion is you should stick with companies that make shoes. I.e. Sidi
    HSeeley14
    Polletta ~ TRS West
  • Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    1. No expertise. 2. Eat a dick
    NictarabayDHansenTri
  • Options
    @AaronWebstey idk what I would've done without that helpful input. I'll look in to that ASAP!
    AaronWebsteyHSeeley14DHansenTri
  • Options
    pearl izumi tri fly carbons...love em. easy to use and have a single strap.

eat a lot. try mass gainer for extra calories. lift more weights maybe 3x week focus on legs to a lot of muscle to be gained there. muscle weighs more then fat. or just go to mcdicks and order big macs
    village idiot
  • Options
    If only needing to gain weight was my problem! That and buttercream icing...
  • Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    I have a friend whose doctor actually told him to try fast food. He's had about 3% bf since at least 15. Still single? You betcha! Ladies, anyone interested in a 38-yo health inspector who owns his own house and has an infuriating metabolism?
    _MurManoldmanchadDuckies
  • Options
    I was 6'2" and 147 for a long time. Now, I'm 178. I don't see what the problem is with being 182 if your body fat % is low, but if all you want to do is build muscle it's simple - protein shake for breakfast PLUS your normal breakfast, quart of chocolate milk after every workout.

That should take care of any protein deficiencies you're experiencing, the rest is picking up heavy things and putting them down again a lot.
  • Options
    Break your spine. It's worth about 18 pounds based on my experience.

Or, y'know, try anything else.

I'll third the Pearl Tri Fly Carbons. Mine are four years old and still kick ass. I had nothing but trouble with my Sidi's.
    Resident Gear Guru
    Bike Crash Free Since August 4th, 2014
  • Options
    regular_markregular_mark Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers, POTM
    Why do you want to put on weight?

I love my PI Octanes. I have a narrow foot.
  • Options
    @Duckies yeah. I'm 6'4 and sit at about 175. And @Dark_Mark nust trying to add a little muscle to gain a little extra power.

But thanks for the shoe input. Mark I also have a narrow foot so I'll look into those.
    Anyone else know if the tri flys have a narrow base?
    AaronWebstey
  • Options
    @_MurMan if you want power, squats on the 5x5 system 2-3x per week. Incline press the same way. You don't need to change your eating habits other than to do like I suggested with the shake and milk.
    HSeeley14
  • Options
    HSeeley14HSeeley14 Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    Duckies said:

I was 6'2" and 147 for a long time. Now, I'm 178. I don't see what the problem is with being 182 if your body fat % is low, but if all you want to do is build muscle it's simple - protein shake for breakfast PLUS your normal breakfast, quart of chocolate milk after every workout.

"Quart of chocolate milk"??!! Blasphemy!! :)
  • Options
    HSeeley14HSeeley14 Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    Sidi bike shoes all the way. Shoes are their focus and I was an instant convert once I tried them on.

Bulking up, yeah, more protein for sure. Smoothie for breakfast, add some protein powder. I have used Vega in the past, but Progressive works just as well. Definitely more weight sessions. Not max lift sets, but like mentioned above get in some deadlifts, squats and even some cleans for lower body. Then some push presses, pull-ups, push-ups...holy crap, my brain is still crossfit wired, I need help!! Do you have a TRX? Could use that in between say 2 days a week then have a lifting focused session on a lighter workout day.

Be careful not to start using the word (is it a word? Affliction chachs made it up I think) "swole" as we will have to stage an immediate intervention.
    Duckies
  • Options
    HSeeley14 said:

"Quart of chocolate milk"??!! Blasphemy!! :)

Tasty, tasty blasphemy.
    HSeeley14HMkrplunkit
  • Options
    regular_markregular_mark Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers, POTM
    _MurMan said:

@Duckies yeah. I'm 6'4 and sit at about 175. And @Dark_Mark nust trying to add a little muscle to gain a little extra power.

But thanks for the shoe input. Mark I also have a narrow foot so I'll look into those.
    Anyone else know if the tri flys have a narrow base?

Power for what? Triathlon? Squats and bench press are not going to help you, especially over IM distance. Look at Bradley Wiggins' legs, who just won the TT World Champs. Do intervals on the bike, ride more easy miles, just ride more, period. Don't waste your time doing squats and lifting weights that is just going to create more weight for you to carry over 140.6, cut into recovery time, and just make you more hungry at night where you will end up eating more empty calories.

I actually have real life experience regarding this. The first 4 years of triathlon I lifted a lot and did a lot of squats. Did very little in 2014, just rode A LOT more and rode A LOT harder, weighed less than ever (lost a lot of muscle after 4-5 months of undiagnosed Lyme Disease- long story). Raced this year at 6'2, 160lbs, used to race closer to 175. I will use my Green Lakes bike times as a metric http://www.strava.com/segments/7259623?filter=overall:

2010: 35:55
    2011: 32:32
    2012: 30:52
    2013: 30:29
    2014: 28:59

I made huge gains on the bike this year after 5 years in the sport, had the fastest bike split at GL after being in top 5 the last couple years, rode 58:30 for 40k on my lunch break on a random Wednesday, and I do not owe any of it to weight lifting. If you are after aesthetics, then feel free to lift weights, I can appreciate a bulky man in spandex as much as the next bro. If performance is what you are after, don't waste your time, especially for Ironman.  
    _MurManAaronWebsteyPreachSwansonRobert RankinJames Langeolson_aADRBillyScheck48yournotunique
  • Options
    I'll second @Dark_Mark.  A little strength training isn't bad to aid in boosting power, but 95% of your gains are going to come from riding more.  A lot more.  You think you ride a lot now?  Trust me, you don't.  Do an interval set at least once per week, a tempo set once per week, a long ride (4+ hours building up / longer each week) and a ride with low cadence sets once a week.  Start easy and work your way up.  

Also remember to calculate watts per KG when comparing gains if your weight is fluctuating.  I pushed more watts at IMMT in 2013 (I think 238) but went 3 minutes faster in 2014 (232) part of which was weighing a few lbs less.  
    AaronWebsteyregular_mark
    Living life in pursuit of triathlon greatness and not pissing off my wife. Also trying to understand Dark Mark and why he's left New York yet again, but this time for Oklahoma. At least it's not Florida.
  • Options
    Thanks for the help. Clearly I haven't a fucking clue what I am doing.. Thankful for everyones assistance, including the super insightful "Eat a dick" comment from @AaronWebstey, Certainly that will be my back up plan if @Dark_Mark and @DHansen1877 ideas fall through! 
    AaronWebsteyregular_markDHansenTriHSeeley14
  • Options
    I reserve my Fat Jealous Guy comments for my close friends. Unfortunately for you, I seem to be including you in that category now. Great actual advice from everyone else, though!
  • Options
    @_MurMan, @Dark_Mark, @Duckies,  except for @rrheisler advice about breaking your back, If you want to put on weight, Turn 40+ that will help with weight gain.  But, You have to promise yourself you won't stop drinking like your 28 and you won't stop eating your kids macorini and cheese.
    HSeeley14
    TRS WEST - NOLA, Miller Lite Drinking Truck Driver
  • Options
    @Dark_Mark Lyme disease sounds like a great weight loss plan...might have to try that.

Kelly Lentz
    TRS Canada Chapter
    Please direct all complaints to James Lange

• Options
    I do not recommend it unless you are into neurological issues, sleeplessness, malaise, extreme muscle pain, general cantankerousness, medical bills, extreme erectile dysfunction, general lack of fashion sense, etc
  • Options
    @Dark_Mark I have all but one of those symptoms. No EED and weight gain instead of loss. Dammit.

Bonus points awarded for the use of the word "cantankerousness."
    Resident Gear Guru
    Bike Crash Free Since August 4th, 2014
  • Options
    I had reverse EED. Gift and a curse.
    AaronWebsteyADRBilly
  • Options
    @_MurMan I just discovered a great weight gain tip over the holidays. Accept a challenge from a sibling to see who can kick the longest field goal . . . yup! I can say with near certainty that you will blow out a quad. For some incentive, I reached a 30 yarder before I was found curled up in a fetal position in pain.
    danimal
    Brinz - TRS East - Boston Chapter

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch